Everyone has finished exams, the sun is shining and it is the perfect time for a cold beverage, good food and some chilled socialising. BBQ food is often a popular choice and easy to cook but why not jazz up your menu and surprise your guests? Don’t worry if you don’t actually own a BBQ you can still partake in the food fun by just using your normal oven or buying a cheap disposable BBQ from the shop. If you’re cooking for vast amounts of people, cook your food all together before hand and keep warm in the oven, so you can serve everything at the same time.
HONEY AND MUSTARD CHICKEN:
10x Chicken Drumsticks / Thighs / Wings
4x Tbsp Honey
4x Tbsp Mustard
1. MARINATE: Place the chicken in a dish, mix the honey and mustard together and cover the chicken with the mixture. Use your hands to make sure the chicken has an even coverage of sauce. Leave to marinate in the fridge for half an hour to ensure full flavour.
2. COOK: You can use any method of cooking for the chicken, follow the instructions of cooking times that come with the chicken. However if you want to stay to traditional to the BBQ way, place the chicken on a hot BBQ for about 12 minutes, turning the chicken every 3 minutes. The chicken should be golden and completely cooked through before eating.
CARROT AND CHICKPEA VEGGIE BURGERS
400g Can of Chickpeas
1x Tsp Cumin
2x Tbsp Tahini Paste
3x Tbsp Olive Oil
1x Lemon Zest
1. PREPARE: Peel and grate the carrots and add a third of the mixture into a food processor or blender along with the chickpeas, onion (roughly chop first), egg, cumin and tahini paste. Blend until the mixture becomes a thick paste, then place in a large bowl. Meanwhile fry the remaining grated carrot in 1 tbsp of olive oil for 10 minutes. When the carrot has softened and become golden add to blended mixture along with the lemon zest and breadcrumbs, add any seasoning any seasoning to your taste.
2. MAKING BURGERS: Mix the mixture of ingredients with your hands before dividing into however many burgers you want and shaping them. Leave them to chill in the fridge for half an hour.
3. COOK: Cover the burgers in remaining oil and place on a heated BBQ, cook each side of the burg for roughly 6 minutes until the burgers are crisp and golden. Serve in a bun with your desired condiments and fillings.
CHILLI PRAWN KEBABS:
300g King Size Prawns
2x Red Chillies
4x Tbsp Soy Sauce
18x Wooden Skewers
1.PREPARE: Place the wooden skewers in water and leave them to soak to prevent burning. Meanwhile place the king size prawns in a bowl along with chillies (deseeded and finely chopped), the juice of the limes and soy sauce. Make sure the prawns receive an even coverage by stirring the mixture.
2. MARINATE: Leave the prawns in the mixture to marinate for half an hour in the fridge.
3. COOK: Take the skewers out the water and thread the marinated king prawns onto them. Cover the prawns with any remaining marinade from the bowl. And place the prawns on the BBQ to crisp for a short time.
PIMMS ICE LOLLIES:
1 Punnet of Strawberries
1. PREPARE: Cut the strawberries, cucumber, orange and mint into decent sized chunks. Mix the lemonade and Pimms together, add in the fruit to create a punch.
2. FREEZE: Pour the mixture into Ice Lolly moulds ensuring fruit is in each one. Leave to freeze for roughly 4 hours.
Images: Laurie McNamara, Miikka H, Jennifer Chait